It's an understatement to say that technologies are transforming the ways consumers behave. It's also no understatement to say that retailers had better know and understand how customers are using technologies in order to target, woo and support the customers in the best possible ways. In other words, retailers had better put this priceless data into their competitive strategic arsenals to know where to put their money, where to find their customers, and where they're likely to make the sales.
As discussed in my last post Why Big Data Analytics Essential For Effective Target Marketing, thanks to technology, consumers are becoming increasingly informed, empowered and demanding. Armed with knowledge gleaned from a multitude of sources, they are spending their money on the goods and services they value most and stipulating how they will engage with retailers. They want to interact in a way that is both relevant and timely: relevant to whatever they are shopping for, regardless of where, when and how they are shopping for it; and timely in fulfilling their needs.
In my research on the influences of technology, I came across a marvelous infographic: A day in the life of the Internet (that appears below). It provides a very graphic description of the influence and effects of the Internet on communications, commerce, and competition. It's data every retailer should have in their arsenal as they determine where, how and why to advertise and reach the consumer where they live, so to speak. Written in May 2013.
I'm going to show you some of these impressive statistics upfront and you can see more detail in the Infographic. The data was assembled in May 2013, so it's particularly timely:
1. More than 2 Billion People Use The Internet.
2. There are 2,405,518,376 Internet users worldwide.
3. The number of Internet users has grown by 566% since 2000.
Percentage of population using the Internet by continent:
North America 78.6
Latin America / Caribbean 42.9%
Middle East 40.2%
4. Top language on the Internet is English, followed by Chinese, Spanish, Japanese and Portuguese. The top 10 languages on the Internet are utilized by 82.2 % of all Internet users.
5. 8 new people start using the Internet every second.
Top 3 web browsers:
Internet Explorer 29.8%
6. The use of mobile devices to access the Internet increases 2X per year.
7. 38% of media interactions each day are on smartphones.
8. On average, 39,344 new websites go live each day.
Uses of the Internet in percentage of users:
62.2% information about health
45.5% looking for jobs
43% making travel reservations
15.2% meeting people.
9. The websites with the most monthly views:
10. 144B emails are sent each day
11. 68.8% of emails are spam.
12. Gmail is the most popular email provider, with 425 million active users.
13. Google is the most popular search engine, with 88% of the market share, followed by:
14. An average of 3,278,688,524 Google Searches every day.
15. Social networking users spend an average of 3.2 hours each day on social networking sites.
Number of users for Social Networking Sites:
16. Around 175 Million Tweets are sent every day.
17. YouTube has 4,000,000,000 views every day.
More Than 2 Billion People Use the Internet, Here’s What They’re Up To (INFOGRAPHIC) (via The Cultureist & HostGator))
Do you ever wonder how many people use the Internet? It’s difficult to even fathom the idea of any given moment without someone in the world being connected to it for one reason or another. It wasn’t that long ago that we lived without any notion of the Web, but now it’s become a tool most of us cannot do without.